Year’s Eve has always been a time for looking back to the past,
and more importantly, forward to the coming year. It’s a time to
reflect on the changes we want or need to make and resolve to follow through
on those changes. As we welcome in 2012, residents and staff at Orchard
Glen Retirement Community are committed to getting healthy and staying
organized this year. They have planned many fun and exciting events throughout
the month to kick off these resolutions with the theme: 2012, the New
Year, New You!
Monday, January 9th at 2:00
Wednesday, January 18th at 1:00
Thursday, January 19th at 7:00
As we know, being active keeps the body fit and the mind alert and this can help prevent, or slow, any decline and allow seniors to stay active and independent longer. That is why Orchard Glen now provides Physical Therapy services right in their community. Dr. Jamie L. Phelan, PT, MS of Weston/Paxxon Senior Rehab Services, PLLC treats patients five days a week in her office on the second floor inside the fitness room. Jamie is a Doctor of Physical Therapy and the Senior Therapist for Weston/Paxxon’s Western New York clinics.
As an Emeritus Senior Living community and well-known
for their family being committed to yours, Orchard Glen is an active community
offering daily exercise class, walking groups and a variety of arts and
crafts. They continue to focus on being a healthier community by incorporating
events like these in their monthly activities calendar as well as providing
healthy chef prepared meals every day and using the freshest ingredients
available including herbs from their resident herb garden. Don’t
be left out—come and participate to join in the fun and start living
the 2012 New Year, New You today!
Health and wellness programs from BlueCross BlueShield of Western New York make it easy to learn about topics that are important to you. Our programs are fun and informative too.
The following are some of the programs available throughout the year:
• Beat the Pack! – A quit smoking program that offers support and advice for those who want to kick the habit.
• Controlling My Cholesterol – Information about how high cholesterol can lead to heart disease and stroke. We’ll explain medical terms and review the importance of proper diet, exercise and medications.
• Fitness 101 – A fitness program can do wonders for your health. Reduce your risk of disease, improve your balance and coordination, lose weight, sleep better, and boost your self-esteem.
• Healthy Eating on a Budget – When you’re on a tight budget, tasty, regular healthy meals may seem like a challenge. We’ll show you how you can enjoy the first-class food with flavor you deserve.
• Zumba® – A dynamic total body workout that incorporates fast and slow rhythms and resistance training.
• Understanding Alzheimer’s Disease – Memory concerns disrupting daily life? Challenges in planning or solving problems? If you or a loved one is exhibiting any of these signs, we can educate you on the best path forward.
• Walking Works! – Learn about the benefits of walking for exercise, including tips on choosing footwear and starting and maintaining a walking program.
To learn more about where and when our health and
wellness programs are being offered, call us!
TTY users should call 1-877-286-5710